Hearing loss typically develops so gradually that you may be unaware of it occurring.
Symptoms of hearing loss include:
- Difficulty understanding what others are saying
- Asking people to repeat themselves
- Struggling to hear in crowded places with distracting background noise
- The perception that others are mumbling or not speaking clearly
- Listening to the television or radio at a higher volume than others find comfortable
- Experiencing tinnitus in the ear
- Responding inappropriately when others are talking
- Socially withdrawing
Regular hearing tests can detect problems early, before they worsen.
More successful communication can be achieved through the use of these strategies in conjunction with hearing aids. Remember, communication requires at least two people. Although it may be that only one of you has hearing loss, everyone involved in the conversation can help to reduce communication difficulties.